Friday, January 6, 2012

I've wondered how much longer it takes those big time food bloggers to prepare a meal when they are taking pictures of every single possible step of the process. I was going to try and do that for fun, but after a few photos I gave up. They must have a 3rd hand to take photos and cook? Or an assistant? Or lots of fancy equipment? All of the above? 
Anyways, here's the recipe and RJ and I loved it! The kids? Well, they ate it...eventually.
I got this package of grain-y goodness from Target the other day. It was about $6, I think, but will probably last a good 4-5 meals so not too shabby.


Saute an onion (sliced or diced) in some olive oil until nice and soft.


Add a cup of grain-y goodness (the recipe called for plain quinoa, which would also be delicious!) and toast it in the pan for about 2 minutes.


Add 2 cups of chicken broth (I was out so just used water) and 1/8 tsp of black pepper and red pepper flakes. (is anyone that exact when it comes to their seasonings? I'm not.) 
Cover and let simmer for about 15-20 or until all liquid is absorbed and grains are cooked.


Then add 4 cups of roughly chopped, fresh spinach. Cover again until spinach is wilted. Add a touch of salt of pepper if needed and enjoy!
I also did a side of sauteed carrots because I'm obsessed with carrots lately. Roasted or sauteed...I love 'em.


Serve up on a fancy, shmancy paper plate and eat away!



This was so yummy! I can't wait to make it again. The recipe is from here.
We haven't been eating healthy at all the last couple of months with traveling and holiday parties, so it felt good to finally give the fam something healthy. And tonight? We're having pepperoni pizza. I made the dough from scratch...that makes it healthy, right?!

Have a great weekend!!

1 comment:

une autre mère said...

Looks good (besides the onion, of course)! ;) Good job on eating healthy! I'll have to look for that grainy goodness next time I'm at Tar-jay (which you know will probably be tomorrow... and the next day...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails